Why attend an EC4H communication course?
- Communication education is an important aspect of continuing professional development for doctors and other health professionals working in any hospital specialty or in primary care.
- National policies on postgraduate medical education and revalidation require doctors to demonstrate effective communication in clinical practice, teaching and management.
- Problems with communication feature in the majority of complaints against NHS staff.
- EC4H workshops use evidence based teaching and learning methods, and realistic scenarios drawn from the participants clinical practice and other professional roles.
What do the EC4H courses offer?
- An opportunity to review your current approaches to communicating effectively
- An interactive workshop with a small group of experienced colleagues who also work in the NHS or a similar healthcare organisation
- Topics chosen by the participants such as handling complaints, giving complex information, dealing with anger and denial, addressing poor performance and communication in management.
- Structured facilitation by leading clinical communication educators.
- Cost effective training in a local postgraduate education centre.
Who should attend?
- Courses are available to suit doctors from Foundation level upwards. We offer specific workshops for consultants and for general practitioners.
- Senior nurses and allied health professionals are welcome to attend our multi-disciplinary workshops for specialty trainees
- Topic workshops allow us to explore challenging issues in more depth
- Multi-disciplinary, 0ne-day workshops are available for more junior doctors and other professionals
- These courses are not for those wanting to improve their language skills or prepare for UK entry assessments. Good spoken English is essential.
- The courses aim to enhance general aspects of clinical communication but are not tailored to help doctors prepare for membership exams.
Who are we?
- We are a group of senior NHS clinicians with extensive experience in teaching effective communication and developing courses and workshops.
- Our courses were set up with busy clinicians in mind and tailored specifically to meet their needs.
- The courses are run on a “not for profit” basis with no commercial sponsorship.
EC4H courses are approved for continuing professional education by:
Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
The Royal College of Physicians of London (CPD approval for CME)
NHS Education Scotland (NES)
The Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow