Communication Challenges in NHS Management
Date: 4th October 2019
Venue: Seminar Room 3, Chancellors’ Buildings, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
Fee: £165 (£220 for staff not employed by NHS Lothian)
There is extensive research evidence to show that all senior NHS clinicians benefit from advanced communication training. Senior clinical managers require additional high level skills in inter-professional communication and team work.
This workshop is aimed at medical/ associate medical directors, clinical directors and senior nurse managers. Senior NHS managers from other disciplines in similar roles are welcome to apply as are senior clinicians from primary care
- Participants attending this workshop will work in a small peer group and address communication challenges chosen by them from their own senior clinical and management roles. Topics may include:
- Complex shared decision-making
- Realistic medicine/ healthcare
- Addressing and preventing complaints
- Negotiation and effective leadership
- Appraisal /Job planning
- Chairing meetings
- Communication with management/ effective communication for managers
- Addressing poor performance by trainees, colleagues or other members of the clinical team
This clinical communication workshop offers participants the opportunity to:
- review their current approaches to communication in senior health professional roles
- identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a confidential, peer learning group
- critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication
- identify ways of increasing communication effectiveness
- exchange ideas and experiences with senior colleagues from other clinical groups/ directorates and NHS Boards
Workshop participants find it useful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website.You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
- We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop