Course date: Please contact us if you are interested in our senior NHS managers’ workshops
Course fee: £350 (consultants). £200 (non-medical, senior NHS clinicians)
There is extensive research evidence to show that senior NHS clinicians benefit from advanced, experiential teaching in communication. Patient outcomes improve, complaints reduce, and doctors have less work related stress.
Senior clinical managers require additional high level skills in inter-professional communication.
Participants attending this workshop will work in a small peer group and address communication challenges chosen by them from their own senior clinical and management roles. Topics may include:
- Complex shared decision-making
- Handling strong emotions such as anger and distress
- Addressing and preventing complaints
- Multidisciplinary teamwork
- Appraisal /Job planning
- Chairing meetings
- Communication with management/ effective communication for managers
- Addressing poor performance by trainees, colleagues or other members of the clinical team
This clinical communication workshop offers participants the opportunity to:
- review their current approaches to communication in senior health professional roles
- identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a confidential, peer learning group
- critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication
- identify ways of increasing communication effectiveness
- exchange ideas and experiences with senior colleagues from other clinical groups/ directorates and NHS Boards
All EC4H workshops for consultants are CPD approved by the Royal College of Physicians (Code 78038)
The workshop is based on participants’ own most challenging situations so everyone is asked to think about which situations they would like to work on. Our password protected EC4H Moodle will be available to participants about 2 weeks before the workshop – this site includes online resources, a participants’ forum and the pre- and post course evaluations.
Due date: All payments must be received 6 weeks before the start of a course. Places will be allocated to doctors on the waiting list after this date.