Talking about deteriorating health, care planning and CPR
Date: Tuesday 30th January 2018
Venue: Seminar Room 6, Chancellor’s Building, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
Fee: £150 for NHS Lothian staff (non-medical staff: £100); Applicants not working in NHS Lothian: £200
This popular, one-day workshop offers clinicians from primary and secondary care an opportunity to work in a small peer group on scenarios relating to decision-making and communication when patients are deteriorating with one or multiple advanced conditions and at risk of dying in hospital, at home or in a care home.
- Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, deteriorating health and dying
- Talk about anticipatory care planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to individual patients and families
- Discuss treatment options and outcomes
(eg. treatment escalation, hospital admission, CPR, clinically assisted nutrition/ hydration within a person-centred model of shared decision-making)
- Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions
- Discuss the benefits and limitations of treatment in a balanced way
- Manage people who have unrealistic expectations of treatment and outcomes
- Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity
Find out about the EC4H ACP-Talk guide to anticipatory care planning discussions in Resources
Senior nurses and senior allied health professionals
For further information, please contact the NHS Lothian programme coordinator
Workshop participants find it helpful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website.You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
- We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop
Booking – Application Form
- The workshop fee includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments and a copy of the EC4H workshop book.
- Applicants must complete the payment section on the application form when they submit it.
- You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been booked for you; usually within 14 days.
- Our administrator will request payment 14 days before the workshop; cancellations within 2 weeks of the workshop will be charged.
We can accept personal cheques which will be cashed shortly after the workshop.
- Workshop fees are not refundable but your place can be transferred to a colleague. We do all we can to avoid cancelling workshops but if this is necessary, we will offer you an alternative workshop.