Communication challenges for consultants
A one-day, interactive workshop for Consultants
(Senior nurses/ AHPs (band 7+) are welcome to apply)
Date: TBC – please complete online application form to be added to the waiting list
Fee: £150 (consultants/ senior staff not working in NHS Lothian – £200)
Participants will work in a small peer group and address communication challenges drawn from their clinical practice, teaching and management roles.
The scenarios may include:
- Complex shared decision-making
- Handling strong emotions – anger, emotional distress, denial and collusion
- Discussing future care planning, CPR and other treatment options
- Addressing and preventing complaints; managing adverse events
- Addressing poor performance by trainees, colleagues or other members of the clinical team
- Negotiation and job planning
- Effective teamwork
- Chairing meetings
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
- review their current practice in communicating with patients, their relatives, colleagues and trainees
- identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a supported peer learning group
- critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication
- evaluate and respond to patient/carer/ colleague perspectives
- identify ways of increasing communication effectiveness
- exchange ideas and experiences with senior colleagues from other specialties
Workshop participants are asked to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. The workshop is based on participants’ own situations (clinical, teaching, or management) so think about which situations you would like to work on and discuss with your colleagues.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website.You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
- We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop.
Booking – Application Form
- The workshop fee includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments and a copy of the EC4H workshop book.
- Applicants must complete the payment section on the application form when they submit it.
- You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been booked for you; usually within 14 days.
- Our administrator will request payment 14 days before the workshop; cancellations within 2 weeks of the workshop will be charged.
We can accept personal cheques which will be cashed shortly after the workshop.
- Workshop fees are not refundable but your place can be transferred to a colleague. We do all we can to avoid cancelling workshops but if this is necessary, we will offer you an alternative workshop.