Communication Challenges in primary care
An interactive workshop for general practitioners and primary care team members
Workshops can be arranged on request and can be for an afternoon or a full day
General practitioners attending this workshop will work in a small peer group of about 10 and look at effective ways of addressing complex communication challenges brought from their own practice.
Scenarios will be agreed by participants at the start of the day but may include:
- Anticipatory care planning discussions
- Handling strong emotions such as anger, denial and distress
- Managing conflict within families
- Shared decision-making
- Discussing care and treatment options including CPR
- Interprofessional communication and resolving problems in teams
- Responding to complaints
- Addressing poor performance
This practical communication course offers GPs an opportunity to:
- review their current practice in relation to communicating with patients, family members, colleagues in primary & secondary care
- identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a peer learning group
- critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication
- share & practise ways of increasing communication effectiveness in primary care
- discuss ways of disseminating good practice in clinical communication in their own practice, HSCP or Board
Workshop participants will be invited to join an online learning group before the course and upload scenarios and challenges they would like to discuss during the workshop.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website.You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
- We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop
- 26th February 2018 – Communication challenges for consultants