Anticipatory Care Questionnaire
These resources were developed in NHS Lothian to support Anticipatory Care Planning with care home residents and their families/ close friends. The project was led by Dr Andrew Mackay (Lead GP; St Triduanas Practice, Edinburgh) and supported with a grant from Marie Curie.
Working with care home staff, family members, residents, local GPs, NHS 24 doctors and other professionals, we evaluated a set of questions that could be used to help people think and plan ahead.
Podcast from Dr Mackay about the value of Anticipatory Care Planning in care homes
The ACQ (Anticipatory Care Questionnaire) helps residents and their family/ close friends think about what they would like to happen or would not want for the resident if their health were to deteriorate.
- If you (your relative/friend) had a sudden collapse (such as from a stroke or a heart condition), what would you (your relative/friend) like to happen?
- If you (your relative/friend) had a serious infection that was not improving with antibiotic tablets or syrup, what would you (your relative/friend) like to happen?
- If you (your relative/friend) were not eating or drinking because they were now very unwell, what would you (your relative/friend) like to happen?
Talking about ACP
We also developed a ‘discussion guide’ to help care home staff start and continue conversations about Anticipatory Care Planning in line with their own level of expertise and confidence.
Talking about ACP in Care Homes – a conversation guide for staff
Let’s Think Ahead – a leaflet for care home residents, their families and friends
Flowcharts/ Supporting documents
Flowcharts can be used to guide staff in using the ACQ when a resident moves into the care home and when there is an episode of deterioration in the person’s health.
- New Care Home Resident Information – Information for GP practices to start/update Key Information Summary anticipatory care plan (KIS) for new care home residents
- Care Home ACP Flowchart
- Care Home Acute Clinical Event Flow Chart (250718)
More information about this project