- Simpson M, Buckman R, Stewart M. Doctor patient communication: the Toronto Consensus Statement
- Maguire P, Pitceathly C. Key communication skills and how to acquire them. BMJ 2002; 325; 697-700.
- Makoul G. Essential elements of communication in medical encounters: the Kalamazoo Consensus Statement. Academic Medicine 2001; 76(4): 390-393.
- Kurz S, Silverman J, Benson J, Draper J. Marrying content and process in clinical method teaching: enhancing the Calgary-Cambridge Guides. Academic Medicine 2003:78(8): 802-809.
- Maguire P, Pitceathly C. Managing the difficult consultation. Clinical Medicine 2003:3(6): 532-7.
- Fallowfield L. Communicating sad, bad and difficult news in medicine. Lancet 2004:363(9405); 312-9.
- Epstein RM, Alper BS, Quill TE. Communicating evidence for participatory decision making. JAMA 2004; 291(19): 2359-2366.
- Elwyn G. Implementing shared decision making in the NHS, BMJ 2010; 341:c5146
- Marshall M. Supporting patients to make the best decisions, BMJ 2011; 342:d2117
- Bridson J, Hammond C, Leach A. Making consent patient centred. BMJ 2003; 327: 1159-1161
- Say RE, Thomson R. The importance of patient preferences in treatment decisions: challenges for doctors. BMJ 2003; 327: 542-545.
- Quill TE. Initiating end of life discussions with seriously ill patients – “Addressing the elephant in the room” JAMA 2000; 284(19): 2505-2507
- Nicklin J. Improving the quality of written information for patients. Nursing Standard 2002; 16(49): 39-44.
- Shouten BC, Meeuwesen L. Cultural differences in medical communication: a review of the literature. Patient Education and Counseling 2006; 64: 21-34.
- Rollnick S, Butler C, Kinnersley P. Motivational interviewing. BMJ 2010; 340:c1900. (5th June)
Clinical Communication Education
- Gysels M, Richardson A, Higginson I. Communication training for health professionals who care for patients with cancer: a systematic review of training methods. Support Care Cancer 2005;13: 356-366.
- Wilkinson SM, Gambles M, Roberts A. The impact of training on nurses’ abilities to communicate effectively. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2002; 40:731-738.
- Parle M, Maguire P, Heaven C. The development of a training model to improve health professionals’ skills, self efficacy and outcome expectancies when communicating with cancer patients. Social Science in Medicine 1997;44(2):231-240.