Why attend an EC4H communication course?
- Communication education is an important aspect of continuing professional development for doctors and other health professionals working in any hospital specialty or in primary care.
- National policies on postgraduate medical education and revalidation require doctors to demonstrate effective communication in clinical practice, teaching and management.
- Problems with communication feature in the majority of complaints against NHS staff.
- EC4H workshops use evidence based teaching and learning methods, and realistic scenarios drawn from the participants clinical practice and other professional roles.
What do the EC4H courses offer?
- An opportunity to review your current approaches to communicating effectively
- An interactive workshop with a small group of experienced colleagues who also work in the NHS or a similar healthcare organisation
- Topics chosen by the participants such as handling complaints, sharing complex information, managing anger and denial, shared decision-making, addressing poor performance and communication in management.
- Structured facilitation by leading clinical communication educators.
- Cost effective training in a local postgraduate education centre.
Who should attend?
- Courses are available for doctors from Foundation level upwards. We offer specific workshops for consultants and for general practitioners.
- Senior nurses and allied health professionals are welcome to attend our multi-disciplinary workshops for specialty trainees, and our consultant workshops (if in a consultant role)
- Topic workshops allow us to explore challenging issues in more depth
- Multi-disciplinary, one-day workshops are available for doctors and other professionals
- These courses are not for those wanting to improve their language skills or prepare for UK entry assessments. Excellent spoken English is essential.
- The courses aim to enhance general aspects of clinical communication but are not tailored to help doctors prepare for membership exams.
Who are we?
- We are a group of senior NHS clinicians with extensive experience in teaching effective communication and developing courses and workshops.
- Our courses were set up with busy clinicians in mind and tailored specifically to meet their needs.
- The courses are run on a “not for profit” basis with no commercial sponsorship.
All participants can download an attendance certificate from the online workshop area for self-certified CPD.
Dr Belinda Hacking talks about the development of the EC4H approach to teaching and learning effective clinical communication.
(click on the cross in the bottom right hand corner to switch the video to full screen)