A one day advanced communication workshop for Consultants, Senior Trainees, Senior Nurses/AHPs which offers participants the opportunity to work in a small peer group on scenarios relating to complex shared decision making and communication about ACP and CPR when a patient is deteriorating with one or multiple advanced conditions.
All participants are encouraged to
- Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, deteriorating health and CPR.
- Talk about Anticipatory Care Planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to individual patients and families.
- Discuss treatment options and outcomes within a person-centred model of shared decision-making and Realistic Medicine.
- Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions.
- Discuss the benefits and limitations of treatment in a balanced way.
- Support and help those who have unrealistic expectations of treatment and outcomes.
- Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity.
An Advanced Practice Training in Anticipatory Care Planning and DNACPR training programme is also available for Senior Nurses & Allied Health Professionals who are already involved in Anticipatory Care Planning and DNACPR discussions.
This is a three day programme aimed at improving all aspects of Anticipatory Care Planning and allows Practitioners to sign off DNACPR forms following appropriate multidisciplinary discussions.