EC4H and NHS Lothian maternity services were funded by Health Improvement Scotland to test and evaluate a programme of training.
‘Being Open’ has now been implemented across NHS Lothian and NHS Ayreshire Maternity Services.The ‘Being Open’ programme provides a sensitive and reliable system of training for maternity staff to support and involve families when an adverse event occurs and through the subsequent review process.
The programme combines specialist communication training with quality improvement methodology. Scoping work is needed before the Being Open programme is implemented to understand more about the local risk management processes.
Being Open enables maternity services to;
- Manage effective escalation in the context of an adverse event
- Engage in practical and effective staff support
- Give information and support to patients and families who have been involved in an adverse event
- Support those who are angry and distressed
- Co-ordinate service provision so that patients and families have support and involvement in the adverse event process
- Manage and chair case review meetings