A one-day, interactive workshop for NHS Consultants
(Senior trainees, experienced specialty doctors, senior nurses/ AHPs (band 7+) are welcome to apply)
Date: TBC – Please complete the online application form to be added to our waiting list
Venue: Chancellors’ Building, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
Fee: £165 (£110 for non-medical staff; £220 for staff not employed by NHS Lothian)
COVID-19 has highlighted the importance and challenges of ACP. We look at effective ways to help people think and plan ahead, how to talk about emergency treatment and care planning (e.g. Treatment Escalation Plans and ReSPECT), goals of care discussions and planning for care around dying, including DNACPR discussions.
The RED-MAP framework supports these conversations.
- Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about serious illness, deteriorating health, goals of care and CPR.
- Talk about Anticipatory Care Planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to individual patients and families.
- Discuss treatment and care options and outcomes within a person-centred model of shared decision-making and Realistic Medicine.
- Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions.
- Discuss the benefits and limitations of treatment in a balanced way.
- Manage people who have unrealistic expectations of treatment and outcomes.
- Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity.
The communication workshop is based on the EC4H Book:
Talking about deteriorating health, dying and ‘what matters’
Workshop participants find it helpful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website. You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop a couple of weeks before the date of the workshop.
Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
[intense_content_section size=”full” background_type=”color” background_color=”#faf8d7″ padding_top=”10″ padding_left=”10″ padding_right=”10″ breakout=”0″]
Booking – Application Form
- The workshop fee includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments and a copy of the EC4H workshop book.
- Applicants must complete the payment section on the application form when they submit it.
- You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been booked for you; usually within 14 days.
- Our administrator will request payment 28 days before the workshop; cancellations within 2 weeks of the workshop will be charged.
We can accept personal cheques which will be cashed shortly after the workshop.
- Workshop fees are not refundable but your place can be transferred to a colleague. We do all we can to avoid cancelling workshops but if this is necessary, we will offer you an alternative workshop