Communication Challenges in NHS Practice
Intensive workshop for specialty trainees, specialty doctors, clinical nurse specialists and advanced nurse practitioners. Other senior nurses and senior AHPs (Band 6+) are welcome to apply for this workshop.
This course is designed to cover the learning outcomes of an advanced communication workshop for specialty trainees
Dates: TBC – please complete the online application form to be added to our waiting list
Venue: Chancellor’s Building, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
Fee: One day workshop – £165 (Non-medical staff: £110; applicants not working in NHS Lothian: £220)
Two day workshop – £330 (Non-medical staff: £220; applicants not working in NHS Lothian £440)
(Please complete the application form below if you’d like to go on our waiting list for future workshops if these dates don’t suit.)
This successful workshop is now in its 18th Year. Groups of 6-7 more senior doctors in training and experienced nurses work together in a small coaching group with two senior tutors. The course content is highly interactive with interview demonstrations and participant role-play. Each group will set its agenda at the start of the workshop and consider strategies for handling communication challenges from each participant’s own clinical practice. Participants receive individual coaching and support.
Participants from any specialty are very welcome to apply, as are GP registrars.
Topics may include:
- Discussing complex or distressing information
- Handling anger, emotional distress, collusion and denial
- Shared decision-making and informed consent
- Discussing goals of care, levels of intervention and CPR status
- Handling poor performance
- Communication in teams and effective handover
- Addressing and preventing complaints
All the tutors are senior NHS clinicians
Workshop participants have found it useful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website.You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
- We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop
Booking – Application Form
- The workshop includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments and a copy of the EC4H workshop book.
- You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been booked for you; usually within 14 days.