Communication Challenges in NHS Practice
The EC4H programme has previously offered a 2-day workshop for senior specialty trainees in Palliative Medicine and Oncology requiring advanced communication training. Experienced specialty doctors also welcome to attend.
During COVID-19, we are offering a new programme of online workshops that are also open to senior trainees from acute medicine.
Participants must attend both of the half-day workshops in each course.
Dates: Wednesday 20th January & Wednesday 9th February 2021
Please complete the online application form to be added to the waiting list if these dates are not suitable
Venue: Online workshop are delivered by Zoom
Fee: £190 (2 days)
This successful workshop is now in its 19th Year. Small groups of senior doctors in training work together in a small coaching group with two senior tutors. The course content is highly interactive with interview demonstrations and participant role-play. Each group sets its agenda at the start of the workshop and considers strategies for handling communication challenges from the participants’ own clinical practice. Participants receive personalised coaching and support.
Topics may include:
- Discussing complex or distressing information
- Handling anger, emotional distress, collusion and denial
- Shared decision-making and informed consent
- Discussing goals of care, levels of intervention and CPR status
- Handling poor performance
- Communication in teams and effective handover
- Addressing and preventing complaints
- All the tutors are senior NHS clinicians
A one day workshop is also available for specialty trainees, specialty doctors, clinical nurse specialists and advanced nurse practitioners (Band 6+) from all other disciplines. For more information or to apply for the one day workshop – click here.
Workshop participants find it helpful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website. You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop a couple of weeks before the date of the workshop.
Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
Booking – Application Form
- The workshop includes lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments and a copy of the EC4H workshop book.
- You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been booked for you; usually within 14 days.