Effective Communication in Difficult Situations
Date: 30th November 2018
Venue: Rachel House, Avenue Road, Kinross
Participants will work in a small peer group and address communication challenges drawn from their clinical practice, teaching and management roles.
The scenarios may include:
- Complex shared decision-making
- Handling strong emotions – anger, emotional distress, denial and collusion
- Discussing future care planning, CPR and other treatment options
- Addressing and preventing complaints; managing adverse events
- Addressing poor performance by trainees, colleagues or other members of the clinical team
- Negotiation and job planning
- Effective teamwork
- Chairing meetings
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
- review their current practice in communicating with patients, their relatives, colleagues and trainees
- identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a supported peer learning group
- critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication
- evaluate and respond to patient/colleague perspectives
- identify ways of increasing communication effectiveness
- exchange ideas and experiences with colleagues
Workshop participants are asked to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging.
Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure website. You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop.
The EC4H programme in CHAS (Chidlren’s Hospices Across Scotland) offers a number of workshops.
Please contact us for more information or to discuss your training requirements. We can arrange a customised workshop to designed to meet the specific training needs of your department or team.