Communication Challenges for Permanent Senior Medical Staff
Two day workshop: date to be confirmed. (Click on Booking below to add your name to the waiting list)
Participants will work in a small peer group and address communication challenges drawn from their clini- cal practice and teaching roles .
The scenarios may include:
- Complex shared decision-making
- Handling strong emotions – anger, emotional distress, denial and collusion
- Discussing goals of care, CPR and other treatment options
- Addressing and preventing complaints; managing adverse events
- Addressing poor performance by trainees, colleagues or other members of the clinical team
- Negotiation and job planning
- Effective team work
- Chairing meetings
This workshop is based on the EC4H Book; Talking about deteriorating health, dying and what matters.
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
- Review their current practice in communicating with patients, their relatives, colleagues and trainees
- Identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a supported peer learning group
- Critique and apply relevant literature/theory on effective communication
- Evaluate and respond to patient / carer /colleague perspectives
- Identify ways of increasing communication effectiveness
- Exchange ideas and experiences with senior colleagues with other specialities
Workshop participants have found it useful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
For further information, please Contact Us (Dr Ross Warwick – Lead Tutor)
[intense_collapse title=”Click here to complete the online application form” external_link_target=”_self” title_background_color=”#faf8d7″ content_background_color=”#fff”]
You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been reserved for you; usually within 7-10 days.
We will contact you to arrange payment where required.
Pre-workshop information will be available on our secure EC4H workshop website. You will receive a link to access your workshop information about 2-3 weeks before the workshop.
Workshop Coordinator: Ross Warwick