A one-day, interactive workshop for senior doctors
Date: to be confirmed
DGRI Education Centre
09:00 – 16:30
Free to NHS Dumfries and Galloway employees
Participants will work in a small peer group and address communication challenges drawn from their clinical practice, teaching and management roles.
The scenarios may include:
- Complex shared decision-making
- Handling strong emotions – anger, emotional distress, denial and collusion
- Discussing future care planning, CPR and other treatment options
- Addressing and preventing complaints; managing adverse events
- Addressing poor performance by trainees, colleagues or other members of the clinical team
- Negotiation and job planning
- Effective teamwork
- Chairing meetings
In this advanced clinical communication workshop participants will:
- review their current practice in communicating with patients, their relatives, colleagues and trainees
- identify personal learning objectives and develop strategies for addressing these within a supported peer learning group
- critique and apply relevant literature/ theory on effective communication
- evaluate and respond to patient / carer / colleague perspectives
- identify ways of increasing communication effectiveness
- exchange ideas and experiences with senior colleagues from other specialties
Workshop participants are asked to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. The workshop is based on participants’ own situations (clinical, teaching, or management) so think about which situations you would like to work on and discuss with your colleagues.[sta_anchor id=”booking”]
[intense_content_section background_type=”color” background_color=”#fffedb” padding_top=”10″ padding_left=”10″ padding_right=”10″]
Booking – Application Form
You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been reserved for you; usually within 7-10 days.
We will contact you to arrange payment where required.
- Pre-workshop information is available for participants on our secure EC4H Workshops website.You will receive a link to and a password to allow you to access more information and resources for your workshop about 2 weeks before the workshop. Occasionally emails end up in spam so please check for this and contact us if you do not receive your login.
- We will ask you to complete an online, pre-workshop evaluation – please do this as soon as possible as we use this information to plan your workshop
Workshop Coordinator: Ross Warwick