Talking about deteriorating health, treatment options and future care planning
Choice of Dates:
- Monday 14th January 2019 FULLY BOOKED
- Tuesday 19th March 2019
Queen Margaret Hospital
Cost: Free to NHS Fife Professionals (Workshop is currently only available to professionals from NHS Fife)
This workshop offers clinicians from primary and secondary care an opportunity to work in a small peer group on scenarios relating to decision-making and communication when patients are deteriorating with one or multiple advanced conditions and at risk of dying in hospital, at home or in a care home.
- Communicate sensitively and effectively with people and those close to them about advanced illness, deteriorating health and dying
- Talk about anticipatory care planning informed by an understanding of ‘what matters’ to individual patients and families
- Discuss treatment options and outcomes (such as treatment escalation, hospital admission, CPR and clinically assisted nutrition/ hydration) within a person-centred model of shared decision-making
- Respond to anger, distress, collusion and other complex emotions
- Discuss the benefits but also limitations of treatment in a balanced way
- Manage people who have unrealistic expectations of treatment and outcomes
- Address communication challenges that arise when the person has impaired decision-making capacity
This workshop is based on the EC4H Book:
Talking about deteriorating health, dying and ‘what matters’.
For further information, please Contact Us (Kimberley Steel – lead tutor)
Workshop participants have found it useful to think about how they currently communicate and what situations are particularly challenging. As the workshop is based on participants’ own situations we will be asking what you would like to work on.
Booking – Application form
You will be informed by email when your application has been received and a place has been reserved for you; usually within 7-10 days.
We will contact you to arrange payment where required.
Pre-workshop information will be available on our secure EC4H workshop website. You will receive a link to access your workshop information about 2-3 weeks before the workshop.
The EC4H programme in NHS Fife offers a number of workshops.
Please contact us for more information or to discuss your training requirements. We can arrange a customised workshop to designed to meet the specific training needs of your department or team.